Thursday 26 January 2017

Recipe: leek and potato soup

I've been giving amounts on my recipes in here but I realise that it's a bit daft as they are really only correct for me.  Different areas, different shops, they all charge different amounts.  Then there's yellow stickers, etc . . .

So please remember that the total I give is true for me, now, here, with what I use and the way I am doing the 30-30 accounts and they are most unlikely to be exactly the same for you.  The recipe will still be frugal, but it depends on, for example, whether you have used wonky potatoes/carrots or more expensive ones.

Ingredients to make 3 bowls of soup.  One for today, one for tomorrow and one for the freezer!
100g leeks, sliced
about 75g of a mix of onion, carrot and celery, diced
about 130g potato, diced (I don't peel, I push the soup through a sieve after zizzing because I love it super-smooth
a couple of sprays of oil (I love my oil mister)
a squidge of garlic puree
a stock cube (I'm using Aldi cubes - Quixo - which are 3p each)
some water
a little milk (optional)
seasonings (e.g. pepper, herbs and a scrape of nutmeg)

Method
Place the leeks, other veg and potatoes into a pan and spray with oil.  Saute, stirring, for around five minutes.  Then add the squidge of garlic and cook for another minute, stirring.
Crumble in the stock cube and add seasonings.  I don't add salt until the very end as stock cubes can be salty but I did add nutmeg, dried parsley and pepper.
Add some water to cover, bring to a boil and simmer, covered, until all the veggies are soft.
Then zizz with a stick blender or other zizzing machine.  If it comes out very thick, slacken it with more water or maybe some milk.  If it comes out on the thin side, you could add a little instant mash and mix it in well.Taste and adjust seasonings, if necessary.
Heat to piping hot and serve.

For me, it cost 12p per serving.



No comments:

Post a Comment