Thursday 12 October 2017

The freezer challenge, day 46

You'd think that by day 46, I'd be well on the way to an empty freezer and so I would, had not summer intervened.  A fair amount of space is taken up with bags of runner beans, tomatoes, green beans, courgettes, baby corn, apple, rhubarb, strawberries, etc, from the summer harvest of garden and allotment.  If I took all of that out, it would look much gappier and I am am very grateful that I am able to store so much for the winter months.

What I am noticing is how much less I have to spend on food.  Of course, it is obvious that I would, but it is nice to see the money staying in my account and then being moved over to savings.  I've been able to invest some in stuff for the allotment that will, in turn, produce more next year.

The beef crumble was delicious and I have posted the topping recipe in here.

Today's plans:
B:  banana pancakes, stewed apple and yogurt
L:  the last of the frittata, lettuce and cucumber
D:  a version of the Spanish fish stew that was shown on Eat Well for Less yesterday evening, but using what I have in rather than what they used.


From the freezer:
banana pancakes
fish
bit of courgette, peas, corn, maybe a few green beans too
haricot beans (there's too many in the pot but I shall use the rest for a curry, I think)

I'm getting short on pulses now so I think I will have to break my rule and soak/cook some more for freezing.  Really can't run out of pulses, can I, they are far too useful?


6 comments:

  1. Hello. I have just found your blog via a google search, after opening my freezer to quick-chill some wine and gaining concussion from a frozen supermarket curry and a packet of sweetcorn! In just under 7 weeks we are going on an epic family trip, so a) I need to save as much money as possible, b) empty the outside freezer so it can be turned off, and make space in the indoor freezer, and c) lose weight!!! We have a glut of tomatoes and courgettes from the allotment both in and out of the freezer, the freezer contents are mainly - yellow sticker stuff (mainly fish, which i hate!), quorn products from failed slimming world attempts, and random foods bought for other failed diets! I look forward to being inspired by your obvious wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds really good to me! I hope the concussion is better now! :-D.
    I'm no wiser than anyone else, honestly, just making my ramblings public! It's a bit awkward right now to be consistent as things are up and down faster than a yo-yo but generally it is all heading in the right direction.
    I'm really glad you find this blog helpful - thanks for saying and all the best with your own freezer challenge. Do let me know how it goes.
    J x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did my freezer audit yesterday. Oh my goodness, I am a food hoarder! Didn't bin too much (mainly quorn dated 2015). Had steak and mini scallops (both ys) from the freezer yesterday, cooked liver for the dog and some chicken livers for the cats. I have now read your whole blog (!) and the challenge begins tomorrow. Hopefully, as I'm off work for half term I will get into a sort-of routine...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today went a bit pear-shaped as i seem to have "half term-itis". Fed the kids with curry that came out of the freezer during the audit, plus sides (ditto), then #1 son sent a text to say he would be home for tea too (not expected). Made extra curry with cook-from-frozen value lamb steaks, onion, frozen peppers and half a jar of sauce (bought for something i never got around to making). Have dug out my "jack book 1" to help when i don't have time to www.

      Delete
    2. It currently feels like a fun challenge, hope you don't mind me crashing your blog!

      Delete
  4. No, I don't mind in the least. Please forgive me for not replying sooner but I didn't see that you had comments. Please do join in! :-) It sou7nds really good.
    J nx

    ReplyDelete