Friday 5 January 2018

Five Frugal Fings

A resume of some of my frugal stuff this week.
1.  Making kedgeree.  I find that a little smoked fish goes a long way so when I buy smoked haddock I cut it into smaller pieces before wrapping and freezing.  One little bit with plenty of vegetables and a good dollop of spices made a delicious kedgeree.  Also I cooked the fish on top of the rice as it was cooking rather than poaching it in milk and losing some of that lovely flavour.  As Tom K said this week, it's all about the flavour!
2.  I haven't needed to throw out any leftovers this week and I've only frozen one bean burger.  The rest has all been used up one way or another.
3.  I gave the fridge a good sort out and now I know exactly what's in there, what will last and what needs using.  I love being on top of that sort of thing.
4.  I had some egg and some fresh breadcrumbs left over from egging and crumbing a piece of fish so next day I grabbed a few more bits and bobs, mostly from the freezer, and concocted a bean burger mix that made three burgers.  Two were delicious with a salad and some cranberry sauce and the other is now in the freezer for another meal at some point soon.
5.  After making some strawberry jam, I saved the scum foam and will be using it in yogurts, porridge, etc.  After all, there's nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't look great.
And one for luck.  I've now got into the habit of using the dishwasher and washing machine overnight on the cheaper rate.  Over time it will be a saving.

So there's mine.  What are yours?

2 comments:

  1. Ahh that last one - you're another E7 Electricity person then? AMAZING the savings that can be made doing stuff at cheap rate isn't it - it's very rare that we use the washing machine or the dishwasher during the day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my shame, I have only recently started and I'm looking forward to seeing some savings.
    J x

    ReplyDelete