Thursday 4 January 2018

Recipe: a most delicious chicken and veg soup.

When I roast a chicken, I save whatever left of the meat, boil up the carcass to make a flavoursome stock and then freeze both, together, in small portions.
That was the basis for this soup.

(If you just throw away your chicken carcasses, you are wasting so much good flavour: it makes a great stock.)

What I used.
a small, frozen pot of chicken with stock, thawed and the stock separated from the chicken.
about 4cms leek, sliced
a broken bit of carrot from a value bag of them, washed and chopped
a 'slice' of celery (cut across the top)
a small potato, peeled and chopped
a tsp chicken stock granules (I used Knorr) or half a chicken stock cube
some salt and pepper
some water

What I did.
Add everything except the chicken into a pan - add a bit of water if needed (it depends how much stock you have).
Boil it all up together until the veg is very soft.
Zizz it down to smooth.
Cut or shred the chicken, if necessary and add it.  Reheat to simmering, taste and adjust seasoning if needed and serve.

Before zizzing, you could take off some of the veg to add some chunks to the finished soup.  I didn't.

It made enough for two portions but it's a cold and blustery day so I had another portion for comfort.

Delicious and virtually fat free!

No comments:

Post a Comment