Monday 8 January 2018

Recipe: very simple fish cakes



Ingredients
Some mash.  Could be leftovers, I made up some instant
Some fish.  I used some Morrisons Savers which is pollack I think.  One fillet: I chose the smallest one
some peas and sweetcorn, cooked.  I used the microwave.
salt, pepper, dried parsley, finely grated lemon zest
(I was going to add some soft low fat cheese but I found I was right out.  It's now on the shopping list.)

some plain flour mixed with cold water to a stiffish paste.  Add a bit of seasoning, if you wish
some breadcrumbs.  I zizzed my own but you don't have to, any will do.

Method
Make up the mash.  Make it quite dry
Cook the fish in the microwave until it is just done.  Drain and flake.
Mix the seasonings with the mash, taste and adjust, if necessary.
Add the fish and the vegetables and mix well.
With your hands, scoop out portions and shape.  It went into a fish cake shape very easily.
Place on parchment or easy leave, cover and chill
Pre heat oven to 200C
Place some parchment on a baking sheet and spray with oil
Brush over some of the flour and water paste, then breadcrumb each fishcake.
Place them on the sprayed parchment and spray the top of each fishcake
Bake in the oven until golden brown and hot all through, turning carefully after about 20 mins.

Serve with a lemon wedge if you have one and a side salad.

I've just had dinner and wow, really nice, better than expected.  The Jamie flour-and-water tip is fantastic, creating a sort of crunch, and it made a LOT.  I'm stuffed now!
The lemon zest worked really well but I think a bit of onion and/or garlic as well would be an improvement, but no complaints.  One to do again, for sure.





2 comments:

  1. Sounds delicious.

    I've never tried the flour and water paste method but I think I'll give it a go, as I no longer eat eggs it's great for that reason and it also fits in nicely with our current 'wartime' thinking. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it would be worth a go, just to see if it suits you.
    I'd also like to pop a little nugget of soft cheese in the centre of the cake next time. I think that would be lovely!
    J x

    ReplyDelete