Saturday 13 January 2018

Saturday, 13-1-17

Good morning.

Today's plans:
B:  porridge, fruit and natural yogurt
L:  probably marmite or pate on toast
D:  pasta bolognaise
Ss:  apple and orange

From the freezer
The bread for the toast
The mince for the bolognaise
I'll probably add some peas and corn to the mix and they will be from the freezer too.


The frugal factor
Porridge, of course
You know how you end up with lots of bags of different shaped pasta, all with just a little bit at the bottom.  Well, today's 'use up' will be some orzo - pasta that looks like rice.
The bolognaise will be made from scratch and will be extremely unauthentic.  It's a perfect recipe for any bits and bobs and leftovers and I add red lentils and porridge oats to make it go further.
I'm going to try the tip from Tom Kerridge about roasting your mince before adding it to the pot - it is supposed to impart extra flavour.

3 comments:

  1. I'd never heard of roasting the mince before using it as normal until the programme with Tom Kerridge the other week. But it makes sense, most things that get roasted end up tasting so much richer and nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try, Tania. It doesn't always happen but the problem tends more to be 'adding to plan'! :-)

    Sue, it really worked too, I think it was the nicest bolognaise I have made in a long while. I will remember this one and just try to organise things so that I am using the oven for other stuff as well at the same time to get the best use of the heat.
    J x

    ReplyDelete