Thursday 11 January 2018

Thursday, 11-1-18


Yesterday's dinner - very tasty and very filling.

I was a bit not frugal yesterday.

I was very good in Hobbycraft which is a miracle in itself.  I just got the pair of short size 5 knitting needles that I needed and, though sorely tempted, left everything else on the shelves.
I wanted the knitting needles because the set I already have are much to long and (this is the frugal bit) I am knitting some slipper-socks.  I love slipper-socks for toasty warm toes but they wear out very quickly and develop holes in the heels.  I thought if I could find a pattern I could knit some and lo and behold I did and am.  As I already have the yarn, it's a very frugal thing to do!  Honest!  :-)

In Wyvale, not so good.  I bought a Christmas candle holder, two good quality tea towels and two bottles of drink, a spiced punch and a spiced ginger.  They were all at 70% off so not so bad and I will share the drinks with my dad who loves spicy things, the candle holder is away with the other Christmas stuff to add a little more light to the next celebration and the tea towels won't be wasted either as I have some that are wearing very thin and need repurposing soon.  So it wasn't stuff I needed but it's stuff I will use.

In B&Q the dregs of the Christmas things made a very poor show but I did find one decent houseplant out of the few that were for sale.


Not quite how I want it yet, rather messy, but it's the second plant from the right.

And then, in Morrisons, there were magazines.  Oh, dear, bad me.  However, I will enjoy them and I will pass them on to my mum, so it was just a bit not frugal, not an awful lot. 
It was nice to get out with the sun shining - most cheering.

Today's food plans:
B:  porridge, strawberries, a bit of maple syrup and natural yogurt
L:  broccoli soup (made with the stem)
D:  cherry cola chicken, mash, broccoli
Ss:  apple and orange

From the freezer:
Just the chicken today

The frugal factors:
porridge (always the best value breakfast on the planet and the strawberries are last year's garden produce
using the broccoli stem to make soup - actually, just half the stem as I only want a single portion and the rest will in the freezer for another soup, another day.
the other stuff isn't specifically frugal except for the spud for the mash which will be from a bag of wonky potatoes (Morrisons).  It's Harmony, which I had to look up when I got home.  It seems it's an ok spud for boiling, mashing, baking and making wedges, so that's fine.  This time last year they had wonky Maris Pipers, which was brilliant.

Have a wonderfully frugal day today, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment