Wednesday 3 January 2018

Wednesday, 3-1-18

Morning, everyone!
First of all, the leftovers hotpot soup with added sweetcorn was absolutely delicious.  Because I added more stock, I also added a handful of red lentils to oomph it up a bit and that worked very well.  That little pot of leftovers made two hearty lunches!

Today's frugal plans:
B:  muesli, fruit and yogurt
S:  orange
L:  toast and marmite
S:  apple
D:  home made fish and SW chips, peas


From the freezer:
Bread for the toast
All of the dinner!

The frugal factor:
The muesli is a gift
The bread (for toast and breadcrumbs) is home made
The chips are home made

As for the fish, it's cod.  Several months ago, Morrisons had big bits of cod on special, really cheap.  I bought a big piece and cut it into portions for freezing.  This is the very last piece so I will need to look out for more bargains!  I will sacrifice an egg so that I can egg-and-breadcrumb the fish, then spray it over with spray oil and bake it in the oven alongside the SW chips.  I want to plan more fish into my diet so this will help.

I'll likely keep the rest of the egg for either breakfast tomorrow or maybe make a crustless quiche as I have some cottage cheese to use up or perhaps I could get some pulses out of the freezer and make a bean burger, thus having a meat-free meal.  Lots of ways to avoid wasting the rest of the egg.

This week has been pretty frugal one way or another, even if I pretend I paid for yesterday's food so I'm happy that it's balancing the more expensive things I will be making from time to time, using things I have in the freezer.


No comments:

Post a Comment