Thursday 1 March 2018

Recipe: sardine temptation


I made this yesterday for dinner and it was very nice indeed so I'm sharing.

Here's the recipe (scroll down)
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/feb/26/tinned-food-recipes-fearnley-whittingstall
Of course, I changed a few things.  I used a minimum of oil, I used sardines in sauce because that's what I had in the cupboard.  I cooked the potatoes in the pan for longer than the recipe suggests, I added a bit of garlic puree and I sprinkled over a bit of cheese (left over from yesterday's portion) for the last ten minutes or so in the oven.
I think that next time I will mash up the sardines a bit and mix them with the potato matchsticks though.

It would have been even nicer with lashings of butter, cream instead of milk and plenty of cheese but I'm not complaining as it really was nice and also filling and I shall use the idea with other proteins.  Salmon would be tasty or chicken or ham.

And here's a clip of our Hugh making a more fattening version at River Cottage.  I also like the version of sardines on toast that he does first in this clip and will give that a go.  It'd be good sprinkled with cheese, briefly melted under the grill, wouldn't it?.

4 comments:

  1. It does sound nice Joy - although I'm always a bit wary of recipes called 'Temptation' or 'Surprise' - lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I get the names muddled. Sometimes I call it 'temptation' (the proper name, I think) and sometimes 'surprise'. This one was very tasty!
      J x

      Delete
  2. Both recipes on the clip look good ... and would have been brilliant for our rationing challenge if I'd bought a tin of fish with some of our points.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're carrying on with the challenge, maybe you could have it in April. Or just have it, if the Challenge is for a month. It's lovely and frugal!
      J x

      Delete